Thompson Brooks Inc. is a top quality builder. The homes we construct are always built to last, with tight envelopes, effective insulation, and proper waterproofing. Our projects include the most energy efficient heating and colling systems, and we have years of experience with radiant heat floors. We offer green alternatives to specifications, and can facilitate client purchase of the most efficient appliances, water fixtures, and lighting fixtures and control systems. As a well-respected general contractor, we are constantly in communication with local sub-cons tractors and suppliers, building departments, and designers, which helps us stay apprised of the latest information on material quality and green building opportunities. Our employees know that green is important, and we perpetually look for ways to reduce our carbon footprint, reduce material quantity used, protect air quality, reduce waste and minimize site disturbance.
How we build sustainability into our projects and practices:
- We have a LEED accredited professional on staff, able to carry a project through the U.S. Green Building Council & Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification process, if such rigor and documentation is desired.
- We have expertise in seismic retrofits and steel frame construction, increasing occupant safety and building longevity, while reducing material quantity.
- We suggest durable materials with no and low-VOC content, supporting a healthy indoor environment, as alternatives to non-green specification.
- Our employees are well connected to the local construction industry, and stay informed of the quality and availability of local, renewable, recycled and recyclable materials.
- Thompson Brooks works with experienced local sub-contractors and suppliers, who are mindful of their businesses’ environmental impact and several of whom contribute to setting industry standards for green building.
- We can offer advice to clients who want the most energy and water efficient systems and appliances.
- We use compact fluorescent light bulbs at our job sites.
- We build with FSC certified wood if the client chooses.
- We focus on job-siterecycling, diverting over 70% of construction and demolition debris from landfills on average.
- We require that sub-contractors take all their waste from the job-site, and encourage them to reuse or recycle materials to the full extent.
- We facilitate donations of salvaged appliances and building materials to local non-profits which keeps construction material out of landfills and earns charitable donation tax credit for out clients.
- We document the entire building process through digital photography and deliver a warranty binder to the clients at the project completion, which contains pre-closing pictures, names and numbers of all sub-contractors, architectural plans, and information on all installed products and systems. This “building bible” informs future designers and homeowners about what is behind the walls, saving time, money, and materials in future renovations.
Thompson Brooks has also taken steps to improve the environmental sustainability of our office. We have replaced halogen lights with compact fluorescents, we compost food scraps and paper towels, and we have updated our copy and fax system in order to complete most of our correspondence in digital format. Fuel use in our truck fleet is offset by TerraPass carbon credits. We support the ongoing green building education of our employees by sending people to the West Coast Green conference, Build it Green training and other informative events.